Friday, June 4, 2010

Trail Running Shoes

Yikes! I have been super busy. Now I look at the calandar and I see that the Pengelly Double Dip is only a week away. I do think that I am ready, and I am so pleased with how my training has gone.

A week ago I attempted the run the course. However, never having been there before, and only armed with a vague map, I got quite a bit off course. In any case, it was really incredibly beautiful...and steep. It was extremely challenging. I walked a bunch. It was a cool, rainy day (as most of our days here have been lately) and I didn't have enough to eat ahead of time so by the end I was wasted. I went right to Vietnam Noodle Express and got the curry chicken noodle soup - yum!!

Because it was a wet day, I wore my gortex "mountain running shoes," the super heavy duty trail shoes I got for running in the winter. While my feet stayed warm and dry, I felt like I was trying to run with concrete blocks on the bottom of my feet. It reinforced my idea that I needed a pair of lightweight summer trail running shoes. So, on Sunday I stopped by The Runners' Edge to see what they had.

I walked out of there with the opposite extreme of what I already had - the most lightweight trail running shoe I could find. In fact, they are so lightweight it's almost like not wearing shoes at all. I probably should have tried them out with a short little run, but instead I took them out the next day for a nine mile trail run with Jim. This is only the second time Jim and I have been able to run together and it was fantastic. It was a beautiful day and I felt like I was floating compared with the other shoes.

The shoes performed wonderfully - in fact, I didn't really notice them. I was concerned that my feet might get sore because of not enough cushioning, but it wasn't an issue.

So now with just a week until the race all I have to do is rest up and stay limber. I am so happy to not be injured, to be feeling strong and ready to go.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lori, My husband Mike loves New Balance for walking and generally doing just about everything. Glad that you have some summer running shoes for your big run. Julie

Lori said...

Thanks Julie. So far so good. They are interesting shoes in that they are so minimalist, it's almost like not wearing shoes at all. If you remember from last year, I was interested in barefoot running for a while, it just doesn't seem all that practical on the pine-needled trails out here!