Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Wacky Hip Strikes Again

I love Frenchtown Physical Therapy.

Last week I was feeling pretty darn good, even after running the Pengelly Double Dip course (with scenic route detour) and then doing 9 miles with Jim two days later. Then I went for an easy 4 mile run and felt like total crap. The worst part was that my hip had started to hurt again. I stretched, I massaged with an ice bottle, I rested, but it still ached. With the race less than a week away, I wondered if I would be able to run it.

FPT to the rescue. This time I brought Jim in with me so that he could learn how to fix me. It turns out that I did indeed get my hip out of place again. The good news is that I figured out how I did it, and Jim now knows how to fix it. Apparently, when you have hip problems like mine, it is not a good idea to get all loosened up with yoga before a run, which is exactly what I did. It makes it too easy for the hip to slip out of place, and then comes the pain.

So now all that's left to do is rest, fuel up, and think positive - then race on Saturday!

No comments: