Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Devil's Backbone race report

OK, well, I wasn't actually there. But I did drive over to Bozeman with Jim, then he went on to run the Devil's Backbone 50 mile trail race while the boys and I visited our friend Kevin. Then Jim joined us after the race on Saturday.

Jim ran the course in 12 hours, 45 minutes. He came in 9th place overall, out of 26 people who started the race. Six people didn't finish. Jim saw a couple of these people along the trail; one woman had stomach problems, one guy twisted an ankle...things that could happen to anyone. Jim had some stomach problems, his stomach hurt and it was difficult to eat. What happens is, (I think), that your body gets so tired that even though you know you need to eat something to get you through the race, it is really hard to put any food into your mouth and swallow it. After a while, all you can stand is water. But you MUST have more in order to go on. Well, somehow he made it through. He said the course was incredibly beautiful, high up on this ridge line. At times it was very windy.

For the next two days Jim rested, then he got up early and went to work today. I'm sure he is thinking about his next 50 miler. The back of his legs were sunburned and his legs were somewhat swollen, but he reported feeling pretty good. I think I was more sore after my last 1/2 marathon than he was from a 50 miler.

No comments: