Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Run for fun

Yesterday the boys and I (and Jim too) bagged our second letter. That is, we hiked up to the "L" on Mount Jumbo. This is right across Hellgate Canyon from our last hike to the "M" on Mount Sentinel. I was surprised last time that the "M" was so easy for them (maybe it was the candy corn I gave them at each switchback), but this time I expected them to send it.

We only had an hour before they had to be at their annual doctor appointment, so we had to hurry to make it all the way up and down and across town in time. So, we pretty much ran it, with occasional stops for gummy treats. The best part was the run down. I actually had to run to keep up with Isaac. It was so much fun it made me realize something really important that is missing from my running: fun.

I do the same couple of routes every time I go out running. It's just easier that way. Unless I drive somewhere to run (which seems silly to me), I only have a few options, all involving the same first couple of miles. This has been going on for YEARS now. I go to the same places, I go at the same pace, I go by myself. Then every once in a while I go with someone else or in a different place or mix up the pace a bit and I think, wow, this is FUN.

I have been thinking, and talking, about training for a marathon in September, which I pretty much have to get started on right this second, but it has been difficult for me to motivate to actually start doing it. The weather has been great. Physically, I feel really good. So all that's missing is the psychological motivation. I need some running partners. I need some new routes. I need some new challenges.

Well that's just my whining about where I'm at. Maybe I'll go look up the Two Bear Marathon and see if that helps.

No comments: