Sunday, April 4, 2010

Back at it

A while ago I bailed on this blog without warning. I thought I was done with it, that it had served its purpose. But as the days passed I started missing it. The blog had become a way for me to ground myself - writing about running kept me focussed on writing, and running. Without it, I started to feel a bit adrift. And that's when I realized that it was really just all about me and that's ok. I want to share my thoughts/experiences that I have while running because it helps me to feel more connected - with other people as well as just with myself. So here I am, back at it again.

I actually haven't been running much lately. After the "Snowjoke" 1/2 marathon in February, I decided to take some time off to let my hip heal. The week before the 1/2 marathon it had started to hurt a lot on a long icy run in the woods, and at the end of the race it was pretty painful. I finished the race about ten minutes slower this year than last year because of it, but really I was just happy to be able to have finished, considering my injuries last year.

I started running again mid-March with plans to make a plan as soon as I figured out where my hip was at. After a couple of weeks of every-other-day mellow runs, I was about to set up my training plan for my next marathon when I got hit with the nastiest cold/virus/flu/whatever-you-want-to-call-it I've ever had. I've been sick for two weeks now! The first week I actually continued running, but it was ridiculous and miserable.

So I've just been watching Jim train. Last weekend he did a ten-miler on Saturday, then 20 miles on Sunday. He's out there right now, actually, taking his bear spray for a run in the woods on this sunny Easter Sunday, while I am inside blowing and blowing and blowing my nose. LAST YEAR on Easter Sunday I ran the longest I had ever run at that point - 19 miles - almost all the way from my house to our friends' where we went for an easter egg hunt and brunch that lasted all day. I am concerned that I might not have enough time to build up my mileage slowly enough and be ready for the Missoula Marathon in July.

But as they say in AA, "one day at a time." Today, I can barely walk across the kitchen without getting off-balance because of all the snot in my head. Maybe tomorrow? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder how long I will be able to be a runner, because it seems there is always some injury. And sometimes I'm pretty sure I'll keep doing it for the rest of my life. It's just part of who I am now.

6 comments:

Kiki said...

So glad you're back. I always enjoy your posts.

Lori said...

Thanks K!

Chris said...

Sorry you're so sick. I was going to run the 10K this month, but a couple injuries and my own illness a couple weeks ago set me back -- I think I'll just do the 5K. Would still like to get up to the half marathon in July, but we'll see.

Glad to have you back! It's good news to have on my birthday today!

Lori said...

Chris - do you mean the Run for the Trees?

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

Chris said...

No, I'm talking about the Riverbank Run.

And thanks!

Rachel said...

Good to see you back. I bailed on my blog awhile ago and keep thinking I should resurrect it, but when is another story...