Thursday, April 22, 2010

With an audible CRACK!

I left the physical therapist on Monday still not feeling quite right, and went immediately out to run 4 sucky miles. At the time I figured I just needed more rest. But then the next couple of days I found that my right leg was "wiggly" again. I could feel that my hips were out of balance even just walking. So I went back down for a quick fix. It's beginning to sound like I'm a PT junkie.

They say it takes 2 weeks, at least, for the hips to get used to their new position, and you've got to keep them that way or start over again each time you get re-adjusted. Consider me back at square one. I am taking it very seriously, because the more I am unable to run, the more I realize that I really love running. Of course the PT was right too when she said that running is just hard on your body and you need to do other things to cross-train. That's why this summer I plan on really learning how to swim, and getting a road bike. Which fits in nicely with my goal to do triathlons someday.

So anyway, Jim was still at work so I brought the kids with me to the PT for a quick adjustment. They were out of control wild and we could barely talk with all of their noise, but that's how they are. That's why it was all the more surprising when Kate (the PT) asked me to push one way while she pushed the other and we both heard a loud "CRACK!" in my pelvis. It was shocking, but not painful. And after that, I knew things were level again. I could totally feel the difference and it was amazing.

3 comments:

Kiki said...

I love reading this blog.

Swimming would be a fantastic alternative, Lori. It's close to an ideal form of exercise, not to mention just plain fun (how did a water-baby like me end up in the desert?). Wish I were there to give you lessons!

Unknown said...

Lori, I was not jogging, but did jump to the hard and unforgiving floor. This jump resulted in 3 hip adjustments( one done every 2 weeks). The third time I was determined not to limp in to the DO again. I exercised the joint for REAL and waited it out( 9 wks for me). Lotus was out of the question for me the entire time. Ai Chi in the water was a great help to me. Sorry to hear of your limping. Ommmmm Julie

Lori said...

Thanks Julie. Lucky for me, it only hurts when I run. I hope your hip is completely recovered now!