Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sacroiliac Hypermobility

According to the information sheet I got from Frenchtown Physical Therapy yesterday, I should "attempt symmetry in all actions and postures." Apparently seven years of carrying children around on one hip can seriously put one out of alignment. But putting it back in place seemed to be a deceptively simple thing to do for those wonderful folks. Suddenly, my life is more in balance. In trying to do things equally on both sides, I am becoming much more aware of the way that I hold myself, as well as how I carry things, get up and down, etc. Now that my hips have been leveled, so to speak, I feel more balanced and grounded, even just walking around. I am so thankful that I took the time and spent the money to go down to FPT and have them take a look at my sore hip. It is really amazing to me what a difference it has already made, and I haven't even gone for a run yet. That will be the real test.

It is so easy for us to develop habits that put us out of balance. I have noticed that not only was I carrying children on my left hip, but also almost always carrying the heavier load there, whether it was laundry or groceries or library books. I would stand with most of my weight on my left leg while working in the kitchen. I sleep on my left side. And all of these things messed up my right hip!

No comments: